16 October 2009

SEARCHING FOR A JOB? GET TO WORK.

Now that the recent unpleasantness of partial-unemployment is behind me (having been resolved by acceptance of a rather tasty job offer), I've had time to take a deep breath, review the events connected with being unemployed and make an honest assessment of it all. The conclusion I've come to after hours of beer-filled contemplation is simple: everything about being unemployed is the pits. While this in itself may not be a revelation worthy of publication by The Huffington Post, it does give me an opportunity to offer some realistic observations and tips in the event any readers are or shortly will be among the ever increasing number of job-seekers .

Plan Ahead - If you suspect there may be trouble at your place of employment, it's probably because there is trouble. Don't assume everything is fine simply because your supervisor/co-workers/human resources department says so. Planning ahead is essential in order to take some of the stress off your job search. I'm speaking common sense here; pay down charge cards; avoid making any large purchases and plan where you can make cuts to your budget should you need to. At the very least you'll be prepared, and, if nothing else, you will have reduced your debt.

The Best Time To Look For A Job Is When You Don't Need One - Some wise soul told me this many years ago, and fortunately, I remembered it. I started registering myself on online employment sites and sending out resumes long before I was ever unemployed. It paid off as well; registering for employment sites is time-consuming. Re-writing and tweaking a dusty resume is time-consuming (I re-tooled mine three times before I was satisfied with what I was sending out), and generally taking your time in the beginning will make you more informed about the types of positions that are being advertised.

Avoid Agencies, If Possible - Now, this came as a total shock to me because, in the past, I've always been able to secure at least temporary employment from an agency. This go-round, however, I found I couldn't get so much as arrested, much less an interview, from an employment agency, despite having a vastly-improved resume. I'm not sure why that is, but I expect with a surplus of unemployed willing to work cheaply, the agencies were turning their attention to recent college grads. I continued to send my details into the agencies but got nary a nibble out of it all.

A First-Rate Cover-Letter is Essential - I don't know if this fact is being taught, but if not, you've heard it from me: your resume should be no more than one-page in length, and should be used to outline your basic experience and qualifications. Where you "sell" to a potential employer however, is the cover letter. I always made a point to ask people with whom I was interviewing how many applications they received, and it generally ranged from between 125-175. Now, think of it from a potential employers point of view; after reviewing the third or fourth application it must be a fairly mind-numbing experience. Use your cover letter to grab their attention; refer to your resume and state why you feel your past experience would be an asset to their current job opening and cite parallels between positions, if possible;it will demonstrate you've paid attention to their brief of the position. Your cover letter should also state your salary requirements; no need to get through to the interview stage if you and your potential employer won't be in agreement on this basic matter.

Be Prepared To Be Brutally Honest - In your cover letter and interview, don't be afraid to point out your weaknesses as well as your strengths. If the brief calls for "proficiency in XYZ computer software" and you've only had a passing acquaintance with it in the past, say so. Being honest and expressing a willingness to "bone up" on a particular subject will carry more weight with them be more comfortable for you, and is easier than trying to blag your way through, trust me.

Interviews Are Like Dates - and I never particularly cared for dating. But, what I've learned over the years from dating stood me in good stead for the interview process. Don't assume because you had a good telephone interview, the personal interview will go quite so well. Like dating, the person talking to you may have a completely different mental image of who is on the other end of the phone. Unfair? Yes. An undeniable fact? Also yes. It's important to be on your best behaviour in an interview, but also be yourself. Remember that the person you're speaking to you may be potentially seeing you five days every week for quite some time. Allow your natural self to peep through; it may be exactly what they're looking for. Most importantly though, don't assume that because your date...oops, interview went well, you'll hear from them again. I had several excellent interviews where I was specifically told I would be back for the second selection process, and I never heard from them again. It's sad, but, just like dating, there's plenty of competition out there. Move on.

The Bureau of Labor Statistics stated that there were a reported 15.0 million unemployed in the United States in May, 2010 so if you are currently (or soon to be) unemployed, take small comfort in the fact you're not alone. But, be aware that looking for work is, in itself, work. I hope my own experiences in the employment piranha-pool will save you some steps, provide some ideas, or both. Sermon over. Normal service will resume (no pun intended) next week.