11 July 2009

WHAT'S WRONG WITH JUST DRIVING?


The last time I bought a new car was in 1993 and it was the most basic of vehicles; a Ford Festiva. It was inexpensive, relatively comfortable on all but the longest of journeys, and reliable and easy to maintain; there wasn't much in it to break down. I subsequently inherited a 1998 Subaru Legacy Outback Limited. Not a car I would have bought myself, but very safe, very solid, and I can take it off-road if I ever wake up one morning and decide to lose my mind.



Despite the Subaru being in still very good condition, I've been thinking lately of buying a new car (the wisdom of making such a large purchase in today's economic crisis is the subject for another column....), so I've had a flip through some motoring magazines to do a little research.

Boy, was I surprised.

The last time I bought a car the options were fairly basic. Automatic vs. manual transmission, power steering, brakes, 2-door or 4-door, and of course the inevitable cassette or 8-track conundrum. Now, the list of optional extras available on some cars reads like an inventory list at Best Buy. The lists included pop-up touch screens with real-time traffic reports, iPod/MP3/Bluetooth connectivity, cameras in the rear bumper to help with navigation, telephone pre-wiring and aerial, overhead flip-down tv screens, rear-view mirrors with built-in LCD displays, andonandonandon.

Now, these are all nice toys to play with but the question is: what do they have to do with driving? Do I really need to spend money for a sat nav when I can read a map or print out a MapQuest route planner? The flip-down tv screen; honestly, does the average family spend so much time in the car that a TV and DVD player is essential to maintain domestic harmony? Rear bumper cameras and rear view mirror LCD displays could be eliminated by just, oh, I don't know....looking behind you? The iPod/MP3/Bluetooth ports; I suppose it may be handy if you're a passenger trying to drown out the nonsense being talked by the driver but other than that, what's its functionality? I can see a use for the mobile phone pre-wiring and aerial, but people who talk on the phone while driving annoy me, so it gets a mention here.

I suppose I'm a bit old-fashioned, but I enjoy driving for the pleasure of it. If I want to work, I go into the office or break out the laptop at home. If I want to watch a movie I sit on the sofa and watch. If I want to de-stress in the car I turn on the stereo or the CD player that's already in the car I have without any optional gizmos that require hooking up more doo-dads, and if I need to see what's behind me, I look.

So, does more toy make for a better drive? I don't think so. Discuss amongst yourselves but pull over to the side of the road first, please.

No comments:

Post a Comment