06 March 2010

"IF I WERE A RICH MAN...."

In todays uncertain economic times, there are more people playing the lottery than ever before. I didn't arrive at this sweeping statement by doing any specific market research or polling; I know it's a fact just by visiting my local convenience store where, while waiting to purchase a bag of chips and a soda, I always seem to wind up in a long line of eager and very serious lotto players with cash on hand waiting to buy that elusive ticket to riches.

As you may guess, I'm not really a lotto type of gal; I've played the odd scratch card (and won a few dollars) from time-to-time, but I don't take it very seriously. After all, like any other form of gambling it's a game of chance, and based on the behavior of some lotto-playing friends of mine, just as addictive as the ponies.

What I do have in common with lotto players (and, probably most of the population, come to think of it) is wondering, what would I do with a few million bucks? I was reminded of that question yesterday waiting in line at said convenience store listening to two men talking about what kind of super car, ski condo, speed boat and trophy wife they'd get if they Struck It Rich. Their big plans for the cash-rich future made me feel a bit inadequate because if truth be told, in all my fantasy scenarios of richness, I always imagine myself to be very practical with my money.

For example, in Huggins' World, that "super car" would be a brand new Smart-for-Two (Google it folks, you'll giggle, trust me) with all the optional extras in black and grey with a manual gear box. Being practical of course, I'd put a few bucks aside to have the twelve year old Subaru maintained properly so I can still get about in the event of a big snowstorm or larger than average grocery shopping. Redecorating my house to bring it more in line with the 21st century would be my equivalent of their "ski condo"; new kitchen and bathroom fixtures, and a professionally decorated interior is my dream, and if I'm dreaming big, I imagine buying the smaller unit next door, combining the two units and having a home office and "library". No buying a posh new condominium for me; "stick to what you know" is my policy. I decided I would lay out a considerable number of dollars on a new wardrobe which would justify the extra living space since, at last, I'd have a place to hang all my clothes. I don't see spending much of my money on any fancy jewelry in my wardrobe dreams because I'd most likely lose the gems down the elevator shaft or drop them down a storm grate.

Once all this luxury is paid for (full, and in cash...), I figure I'd still have a tidy sum left over so my next dream would be to "retire". Not full time, mind you, just the 40-hour a week job. I'd still work, but for a change I'd be able to work because I want to work, not because I have to. Since I'd still be working, there would be no need for the power boat that the convenience store customers talked about; I wouldn't have time or inclination to have one and besides, with all my money, I could just rent one for a day if I fancied it. As for their "trophy wife" dream? Frankly, I don't see a "trophy husband" in my rich-woman future because, let's face it, I know he'd only be after my money.

So, in my fantasy world of riches, I'd have a Smart Car, an updated and expanded condominium, a fully maintained twelve year old Subaru, a new wardrobe, and the luxury of working a job I liked. Whatever cash was left over I would, as practicality demands, invest it prudently for the future. It reads as if I'm a bit dull, a bit boring, a bit too practical perhaps but think what you like, I'd still be rich.