01 June 2010

FACEBOOK FUSS

Standing on line at the local convenience store for a well deserved six-pack and sub sandwich, I noticed that this week's featured article in Time magazine is entitled, "Facebook...and how it's redefining privacy". I've heard a lot about Facebook and privacy issues lately (mostly from friends who post on Facebook), and if I'm honest, I don't see what all the fuss is about.

I should start off by saying I'm relatively new to all this social networking stuff. I've been on Facebook for six months, give or take a month, and in that time I've managed to re-connect with some long-lost friends, co-workers and people with a common interest in all things Sherlock Holmes and cars (better off not asking about that). My general posts are usually one or two-sentences of nonsense similar to what I write here, a commentary and link to a particular bit of news, and an occasional plug on whatever column I happen to be writing on any given week.

For me, Facebook's privacy options are quite adequate; I can choose who I wish to "friend" and I can ask a question to someone who wishes to "friend" me before I confirm. I can chose what information, including my profile picture, I want to be shown, and to whom I want to show it, and if I'm feeling exceedingly paranoiac, I can alter my profile so no personal information is given at all. If some friends are being excessively network-ish, I can hide those posts until such time as they're finished plugging the latest project, and I can un-hide them at will. So where's the privacy issue with Facebook?

Facebook veterans may have more experience than I and, in turn, take a different position but it seems to me that the privacy issue lay at the feet of the Facebook users themselves. In this age of internet-enlightenment, common sense dictates that one should never write anything to a select few on the internet without expecting to see it on a Google search somewhere down the road for all the world to see.

Facebook affords every person the opportunity to place their life story on their Facebook profile, should they wish to do so. Facebook users can upload as many photos of themselves (and others) as they wish, and users can friend, an be "friended" by anyone they wish. The more astute readers among you have picked up on the all-important keyword, "wish". Facebook offers what I think are more than adequate privacy settings; it's up to the user to decide the depth of information to post and most importantly, who precisely they wish to see it. Put simply, If you want to share photos of an indiscreet drunken night out or post that you're calling out sick from work when you aren't, having an affair, or you think your boss is a b**tard, go right ahead; just make sure your privacy settings don't allow everyone to see it.

Post safely, readers.