09 April 2010

A (TINY) CASE OF CAR FEVER

This past Wednesday marked one of the happiest days I've had in recent years. I'm fairly easy to please, so it wasn't winning the lottery, finding true love or even dropping a dress size that made me so happy; it was going to my on-line banking site, hitting "enter" and making the final car payment on my slightly banged-up, late model Limited Edition Subaru Outback.

I should explain that I never really wanted this car. It was a legacy from my deceased partner who paid way too much money for it, financed it poorly (due to a dodgy credit history), then left me to pay off the balance of the loan after his passing because I was sweet-talked into signing my name on the loan documents. Nevertheless, I fulfilled my obligations and after many years of an unwanted $170-plus car note, the Subaru is mine. All mine. The problem is that, despite it being a good, safe automobile, complete with all the optional extras, I still don't really want it. I believe, when it comes to cars, less is definitely more, so my ideal car is the micro-mini SmartForTwo. It follows that, having ditched the ball and chain of the Subaru car payment, my mind is consumed with the idea of instantly trading in the oversized clunker and buying a brand spanking new Smart.

When the champagne-like rush of freedom wears off though, it's just not a wise thing to do. If the adage stick to what you know is sage advice, I should stick with the Subaru. I've had it long enough to know what it's little foibles are; I know that the right front tire is going to run low on air after 8-10 days of driving; I know when, and in what conditions to shift manually, and I know that the occasional groan from the left rear wheel is brake dust and not a malfunction. I know it lives up to it's much advertised reputation and runs like a top in poor weather conditions; rain, ice, rough roads and heavy snow simply will not stop this car, provided it's driven correctly and according to my trusted mechanic, with proper maintenance it has many years of life left in it . On the other hand, what exactly do I know about the Smart? I know it's tiny and being 6 feet in height, I'll look like a circus performer getting in and out of it. I know that it doesn't have a proper manual transmission; their "automatic manual" gear box doesn't use a clutch pedal and is therefore, useless. I know the gas mileage is good, but not great and I know that if I buy one, I'll be re-shackled to another $170 car note for several years to come, with a corresponding increase in auto insurance premiums.

The sad fact is not only can't I have what I want (SmartForTwo), but what I do have I don't want (Subaru). At the end of the day, I suppose I'll do the intelligent thing and stick with the car I have. It's comfy, roomy, safe and most importantly, completely paid off. In some ways the Subaru is a lot like me - practical, economical and a bit of an old clunker. I'll make a mental note to remind myself of that every time a SmartForTwo whizzes by.